“Don’t focus on having a great blog. Focus on producing a blog that’s great for your readers.” – Brian Clark
I get contacted several times a week with questions about making money online and how to get more traffic and be more successful online.
I can only speak from experience here and I would like to give some of my personal insights and experiences on this topic.
I am actually humbled being asked since I am still learning how to earn online like everyone else.
I am no expert on this subject, but here it goes anyway.
Writing for money
First I would have to say that niche blogs should write posts that go into detail and add enough relevant information about the topic.
Write for people who are looking for answers.
Make your post as long as you need to get your point across.
Bloggers looking to leave comments generally won’t care much for the lengthy posts but people who find your post through a search engine won’t mind as much.
Niche blogs should be getting the majority of their traffic from search engines and not from other blogs unless you blog about blogging.
Even though you can convert other bloggers into customers this is less likely when your niche is not about blogging.
Monetizing your blog
- Adsense – This is very profitable for niche blogs but doesn’t do as well on blogs about blogging because bloggers are very likely to ignore them. I use a plugin called Ad Injection to easily place ads at the beginning, middle or end of my post.
- Infolinks- underlined text you see on my blog. You can set it up to a maximum of 12 words that are underlined. I have mine set at 4 words. (I removed them).
- Chitika Mini – Works the same as adsense. Of the three pay-per-click options, Adsense is the most profitable.
- Create an eBook and sell it on your site. As a matter of fact create several.
- Affiliate Sales- ClickBank, Mind Valley and E Junkie. E Junkie can be used for selling your own product or for promoting someone else. Buy a product, try it out, write a review and promote it on your blog. A lot of bloggers earn the majority of their income promoting other people’s products.
- Add an Amazon widget to your sidebar. People shop Amazon like crazy especially during holidays. Take advantage by making it easy for your readers to buy something from Amazon while earning a commission.
- Membership services – Get access to cutting edge information, idea’s and insights that are not shared on a blog. This is a monthly membership fee service where you will pay anywhere from $5-$500.
- Paid product reviews – You could get paid by someone else to use and review their product by writing a blog post about your experience and adding a link to the product site. Try using Social Spark.
- Sponsored Tweets – Sponsored Tweets is a Twitter advertising platform that connects advertisers with tweeters.
- Public Speaking.
- Consulting/ Coaching/Advising – Most of us bloggers are an expert in at least one area. Promote yourself by helping others. You can do this through e-mail, phone or even Skype. You can also use PayPal to take care of the payment details. I do offer blog consulting/coaching to help you make your online dreams come true.
- Advertise- Hopefully your traffic is increasing every month. Why not sell advertising space on your site to earn some easy money. It’s easy and looks good too. Use OIO publisher to control your ad space. OIO publishers gives your advertisers more control of the ad space that they bought without having to bother you with the details.
- Newsletter- I hope all of you have a newsletter sign-up form on your blog. The top two newsletter services are MailChimp and AWeber. MailChimp is free until you get 2000 subscribers while AWeber starts off at $19 a month with the first month tryout for only a dollar. Most bloggers recommend AWeber but the choice is yours of course.Also, have you ever heard the term, “the money is in the list?” Once you get enough subscribers on your newsletter list you will be able to earn extra income recommending products and services to your subscribers. I subscribed to several blogs newsletters just to learn how to write and send a newsletter to my subscribers.
- Add a Donate button- Sign in to your PayPal account, go to merchant services and look for the donate button. Copy the code and place it in a widget on your sidebar or after your blog post. There is no shame in adding a donate button. We have to let our readers have a way of giving value back to us.
- Become a freelance writer.
- Make You Tube videos promoting an affiliate product. The first video I ever made was promoting the Brain Evolution System and so far that video has over 5000 views and also has passively netted me a few sales too. Besides using You Tube to promote affiliate products you can also create your own videos and monetize it using adsense.
World Wide Web
Through blogging I have been able to connect with people that I otherwise wouldn’t have. Some of the countries are the U.K., Australia, India, Nigeria, Ireland, Peru, Canada, Spain, New Zealand, Philippines and the U.S.
Through the web and our blog we have such a far reach of people.
It is important to remember that we are writers for the World Wide Web and it is our duty to give the best that we have to offer.
Through this we will be able to contribute and make a positive difference in people’s lives.
It takes time and energy to get your blog to earn you steady income so don’t get frustrated and quit. You will eventually reap what you sow, it is a universal law and cannot be broken.