“If you have a positive attitude and constantly strive to give your best effort, eventually you will overcome your immediate problems and find you are ready for greater challenges.”-Pat Riley
Having a positive mindset is the key to living the life that you want.
We all want to be positive and have a positive mindset don’t we?
I am not suggesting that you bury your head in the sand about your life’s challenges, what I am saying is that you need to approach your current reality with a positive mindset.
I have gotten myself into more tough situations then I care to talk about, but what got me through them was maintaining a positive mindset.
You see, the mind is a head game, it’s something that can be altered, changed, stretched and grown. No matter how “bad” your life get’s, choose to keep a positive mindset.
How to be positive when things look bad.
Napoleon Hill tells a story in his Book: Think and Grow Rich where a very wealthy family’s house burns down to the ground. Everything was destroyed, well almost everything.
This couple had a fireproof safe that they kept all of their “valuables” in. What do you think the first thing they looked for was when the fire was out?
You guessed it, the fireproof safe.
Even though they lost “everything” their mind was focused on the one thing that they knew would survive the fire and that is the safe.
They eventually found the safe that held all of their gold, diamonds, money and other physical items that they valued.
Moral of the story: Find the diamonds, the valuable lessons in every perceived bad situation in your life.
“Every adversity has the seed of an equivalent or greater benefit.” Napoleon Hill.
I used to get all freaked out when something came up in my life that I thought would be difficult to deal with until I heard this quote by Napoleon Hill.
What Hill is saying is that when life gives you a situation that seems beyond your ability to handle that in return you will gain in some way as well.
So when life seems to be getting way out of control, beyond what you can deal with or just plain bad, remember that in return for your growth challenge you will gain in another area of your life in ways that you could not imagine.
You just have to be open to receive it and look for it when it comes because it will.
About 9 years ago I bought a CD program from Nightingale Conant titled: The Science of Personal Achievement – The 17 Universal Principles of Success.
It’s a CD program that has all of Napoleon Hill’s recordings that he had done back in the 30’s I believe. He was ahead of his time in the Personal Development field. The things that he was saying back then still applies now.
Here are some of my favorite Quotes by Napoleon Hill about staying positive:
- “Don’t ever let me hear you say that it is God’s Will that we are poor. We are poor — not because of God.”
- “If you know what you want you are more apt to recognize it when you see it.”
- “Unless your goal is against the laws of God or society, you can achieve it.”
- “What you try for is up to you.”
- “Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. “
- “You are what you think.”
- “Develop an obsession — a Magnificent Obsession — to help others.”
- “Share yourself without expecting a reward, payment, or commendation.”
- “No matter who you are you can have a Magnificent Obsession. Every living person can help others by sharing a part of himself.”
- “Regardless of who you are, or what you have been, you can create inside yourself a burning desire to be helpful to others .”
- “Be a part of a great cause!”
- “A Magnificent Obsession will conquer despite the obstacles that stand in its way!”
- “The price of ignorance is sin, sickness and death.”
- “There is very little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference! The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative.”
The key to having a positive mindset is how you view your life.
Look for the diamonds in any given situation no matter how painful or bad it appears on the surface.
All situations are temporary and maintaining a positive mental attitude during them will make the experience go by a lot faster I promise you.