“Aries can do the work of 10 people, they are not lazy, they work hard and fast.” – Aries Quote
Yes, I had a birthday this month, and yes, I am an Aries.
I became intrigued with astrology back in the early 1990s. Being an Aries I wanted to know more about myself and who I was on the inside.
I became such an astrology junkie that in 1996 I got a tattoo of a Ram on my arm. It’s my only tattoo btw.
Aries is the first sign of the Zodiac and as far as wanting to be the first at everything, this is true, especially when I was a kid.
I agree with the expression: “He who knows others is wise; he who knows himself is enlightened.” ― Lao Tzu
In order to be able to navigate this world successfully you must get to know yourself. You have to get to know both the light and dark sides of your personality because we all have both light and dark within us.
To deny this truth is to deny parts of ourselves.
Once we embrace our shadow aspects, and accept them, we can also become more understanding and accepting of other people’s shortcomings as well.
No one is perfect on this planet.
In this post I will give some insight into the Aries personality. Keep in mind you may not share or agree with everything written here. Depending if you were born on or around the cusp (The imaginary line that separates a pair of consecutive signs in the zodiac or houses in the horoscope) and your childhood upbringing and health will all impact your personality to some degree.
Neat Youngling Aries Story
One crisp autumn morning my kindergarten class received a shipment of full size wooden building blocks. Not the little rinky dink blocks, these building blocks were 12” x 12” and some were bigger.
I imagined in my little mind what I would build, what I would create.
During playtime my class was broken down into groups of four, and each group went to a different play station.
You could go to the stand-up sandbox – One of my faves, or the dress-up station, or the drawing station and so on.
I knew exactly where I wanted to play and that was in the full size building block station. I don’t know how I managed to pull it off but I was the first one picked to go and play in the full size building block station.
What a glorious day in kindergarten indeed!
There are actually two factors that affect your personality.
- Sun sign – Position of the Sun at birth
- Ascendant/Rising Sign – The zodiacal sign that was on the Eastern horizon when you were born.
So basically you have two personalities to deal with and many claim that they are more like their Ascendant sign than they are their Sun Sign.
It is believed that for most people your Ascendant/Rising sign will be your primary personality – the way people actually perceive you as in the mask you wear when interacting with people.
“Your rising sign influences people’s first impression of you, how you interact socially, and how you view and relate to others.
Your ascendant is a very important part of your personality and how you function in the world. The main thing to keep in mind when learning about your rising sign is that unlike your sun and moon sign, your rising sign reflects a more superficial, outward personality.
The self you project to the world is most often a perfectly balanced blend of your rising sign and your sun sign. Your ascendant is a very important part of your personality and how you function in the world.
The main thing to keep in mind when learning about your rising sign is that unlike your sun and moon sign, your rising sign reflects a more superficial, outward personality. Having a Sagittarius ascendant will not make you a Sagittarius, but it will probably help you relate to and attract Sagittarians.” – Frisky.com/Astrology/Rising Sign
You can calculate your Ascendant/ Rising sign using your date of birth, time and location.
Aries Birth Chart
Your birth chart is basically a snapshot of the sky at the exact moment you were born
People who are born between March 21 – April 19 are Aries. The symbol of the ram is based on the Chrysomallus, the flying ram that provided the Golden Fleece.
“KRIOS KHRYSOMALLOS (Crius Chrysomallus) was a fabulous, flying, golden-fleeced ram. It was sent by the cloud-nymphe Nephele to rescue her children Phrixos (Phrixus) and Helle when they were about to be sacrificed to the gods.
The ram carried Phrixos all the way to Kolkhis (Colchis) at the far end the Black Sea and then instructed the boy to sacrifice him to the gods and lay his fleece in the grove of Ares. Khrysomallos was afterwards placed amongst the stars as the constellation Aries and his shining fleece became the goal of the quest of Iason (Jason) and the Argonauts.” –Theoi.com
>Zodiac symbol – Ram
>Duration (tropical, western) – March 20 – April 19
>Constellation – Aries
>Zodiac element – Fire
>Zodiac quality – Cardinal
>Sign ruler – Mars
>Detriment – Venus
>Exaltation – Sun
>Fall – Saturn
>Color – Red
>Metal – Iron
>Birth Stone – Aquamarine/ March – Diamond/April
>Basic Trait – I am
What it’s like to be an Aries
We are heady, but not exactly brainy. As a young Aries we may tend to run into things too fast without giving it much thought, as an adult Aries I find it best to pause before committing to something before I have had time to think it through.
I find repetitive work, tasks and chores to be a complete bore. I like to make things fun and interesting and mix things up when I do them.
I am not much of a desk person. I can perform desk tasks for a short time, but eventually I need to get up and do something else for a while (20 minutes) and then go back and resume my desk work.
This makes the traditional school system construct absolute hell for most Aries. Aries are doers, were not talkers, and were not the type to be content with sitting on our asses all day discussing mental concepts. (Even though we can do these things effectively for short bursts).
We are action takers. We need to move our body to be happy and productive.
You want an Aries as your friend – believe me. We are kind hearted, full of energy and always willing to help a friend in need.
Don’t ever be careless with an Aries heart or we will cut you off, either physically (remove you from our lives) or energetically (not giving you our time or energy).
Also, if we are helping you and you don’t seem to care we won’t either.
For the record, I don’t let anyone boss me around. I can and often will help if you ask me nicely and considerately. However and this is a big however, if you appear to me like you are treating me like some kind of servant, or just expect me to do what you ask without question, then expect a full on Aries attack.
- High Energy
- Short tempered
Aries Mannerisms (Some of these traits may refine with age and experience)
- Aries hates dull and repetitive routines
- Gets frustrated by naysayers and unnecessary criticism
- Gets things done
- Hates to take orders from people, especially their inferiors
- Straightforward and zero time for people’s games
- An Aries mind is always running, mostly overthinking
- ARIES GET IRRIATED WHEN THEY’RE BOSSED AROUND!!!!!!!
- Has a strong instinct to protect those they care for
- Best friend or worst nightmare – your choice
- Impatient and hates to be kept waiting
- Has an ability to acquire money more easily than others
- Gets hurt easily because of their trusting nature (will never let you know they are hurt though)
- Always one or two steps ahead of everyone else
- Prefers self-sufficient mates who won’t bog them down with emotional needs
- Intolerant to injustice
- Aries talk the talk and walk the walk
- Loyal to those close to them (Sometimes to our detriment)
- Has an innocent nature which helps to deflect their sometimes aggressive behavior
- Irritated by people who are all talk and no action
- Can’t adapt to restrictive environments or relationships
- Aries needs more time to sleep because we overwork our brains
- Short tempered, more balanced in adulthood
- It’s difficult for Aries to relax and unwind because anything can happen at anytime
- Prone to individualism
- Friendly nature (Warning, do not mistake this for weakness)
- Enjoys physical act of making love more than the emotional act
- Would rather lead or work alone then follow
- Passionate about whatever they are doing (except routinary things)
- Naturally inspires those around them
- Are often moody
- Aries are sprinters, not marathoners
- R Lee Ermey (Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Full Metal Jacket) – 3/24/44 – American Actor
- Abraham Maslow – 4/01/08 – American Psychologist
- Eddie Murphy – 4/3/61 – American comedian, actor, writer, singer, and producer.
- Keira Knightley – 3/26/85 – British actress
- Peyton Manning – 3/24/76 – American Football Quarterback
- Russell Crowe – 4/7/64 – New Zealand/Australian actor, film producer and musician
- Aretha Franklin – 3/25/42 – American Singer, songwriter, musician
- Gary Oldman – 3/21/58 – English actor, filmmaker, musician and author
- Leonardo da Vinci – 4/15/1452 – Italian polymath whose areas of interest included invention, painting, sculpting, architecture, science, music, mathematics, engineering, literature, anatomy, geology, astronomy, botany, writing, history, and cartography.
- Mariah Carey – 3/27/70 – American singer, songwriter, record producer, and actress.
- Sam Walton – 3/29/18 – American businessman and entrepreneur (Founder of Wal Mart)
- William Shatner – 3/22/31 – Canadian actor, author, producer, and director
- Selena (Quintanilla-Pérez) – 4/16/71 – American singer, songwriter, spokesperson, actress, and fashion designer
- Steve McQueen – 3/24/30 – American actor
- Thomas Jefferson – 4/13/1743 – American founding father and third President of the United States.
- Charlie Chaplin – 4/16/1889 – English comic actor, filmmaker, and composer
- Tom Clancy (aff link)– 4/12/47 – American novelist and video game designer
- Mark Calaway aka The Undertaker – 3/24/62 – American professional wrestler and actor
- Gloria Steinem – 3/25/34 – American feminist, journalist, and social and political activist
- Andy Garcia – 4/12/56 – Cuban American actor and director
- Harry Houdini – 3/24/1874 – Hungarian-American illusionist and stunt performer
- Robert Downey Jr – 4/4/65 – American actor
- Joseph Barbera – 3/24/1911 – American animator, director, producer, storyboard artist, and cartoon artist – Hanna and Barbera
- Wernher Von Braun – 3/23/12 – German, later American, aerospace engineer
- Lady Gaga – 3/28/86 – American singer, songwriter, and actress
- Christopher Walken – 3/31/43 – American stage and film lead and character actor
- Clyde Barrow – 3/24/1909 – Infamous Outlaw – Bonnie and Clyde
- Sharon Corr – 3/24/70 – Irish singer-songwriter, musician and television personality. She is best known as a member of the pop-rock band The Corrs
- Larry Page – 3/26/73 – Co-founder Google Inc.
- Vincent Van Gogh – 3/30/1853 – Was a Dutch Post-Impressionist painter who is among the most famous and influential figures in the history of Western art
- Booker T. Washington – 4/5/1856 – American educator, author, orator, and advisor to presidents of the United States
- Tommy Hilfiger – 3/24/51 – American fashion designer best known for founding the lifestyle brand Tommy Hilfiger Corporation
- Omar Sharif – 4/10/1932 – Egyptian actor
- Washington Irving – 4/3/1783 – American short story writer, essayist, biographer, historian, and diplomat of the early 19th century. He is best known for his short stories “Rip Van Winkle” (1819) and “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow“
- Elton John – 3/25/47 – English singer, pianist, and composer
- Diana Ross – 3/26/44 – American singer, songwriter, actress, and record producer
- Ub Iwerks – 3/24/1901 – American animator, cartoonist, character designer, inventor, and special effects technician, who created Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and Mickey Mouse with Walt Disney
- Jackie Chan – 4/7/54 – Hong Kong martial artist, actor, film director, producer, stuntman, and singer.
- Vince Vaughn – 3/28/70 – American actor, producer, screenwriter, activist, and comedian.
- P. Morgan – 4/17/1837 – American financier and banker who dominated corporate finance and industrial consolidation in late 19th and early 20th Century United States
- Quentin Tarantino – 3/27/63 – American director, writer, and actor
- Maya Angelou – 4/4/1928 – American poet, memoirist, and civil rights activist
- David Letterman – 4/12/1947 – American former television host, comedian, writer, and producer. He hosted a late night television talk show for 33 years
- Ram Dass – 4/6/1931 – American spiritual teacher and the author of the seminal 1971 book Be Here Now (Aff link).
Aries Quotes (Pinterest boards)
“Aries can do the work of 10 people, they are not lazy, they work hard and fast.”
“Although Aries may not be Happy-Go-Lucky all the time, they do make an effort to see the positive side to things in life.”
“Aries biggest flaw; doesn’t let many people get close and assumes everyone is out to hurt them.”
“As a friend or foe, this is a sign you want on your side when you go to war.”
“Yes, sometimes I just need to vent out my frustrations. Not trying to cause any disarray, this is just one of my coping mechanisms.”
“Aries are unpredictable, they have a mean and sweet cycle.”
“If you see an Aries on a warpath say your prayers cause it’s too late.”
“Aries needs love, and lots of it. We are naturally strong willed but nothing compares to knowing we have people in our corner, who see past certain domineering or aggressive personality traits and just want to love us for us.”
“Aries are often unwilling to obey or submit to directions unless there is a very good reason to.”
“Aries are not insensitive people; they like to mind their own business. They believe they already have enough on their plates.”
“Aries will not tell you that they’re mad at you, but will act very moody to show you instead.”
“If you tell an Aries you’re going to do something, they rely on that. To have them waiting, not knowing what’s going on or just changing the plans on them will basically have them saying “Screw You.”
“When under stress, an Aries adrenaline tends to skyrocket and they will behave erratically. An Aries can become stressed when they are not making strides or are not being appreciated for what they bring to the table. Aries are sensitive and are affected by things more than people think”
“Aries can be stubborn and impulsive in public, but they are very tender and sweet in private.”
“An Aries can sometimes be an asshole and other times they can be the sweetest person you know, it all depends on you.”
“When an Aries is in a bad mood, everyone will know about it.”
“Aries are highly devoted to their children, even to the point of laying down their own lives, so that they might live.”
“Aries always seem to be battling with themselves over some inner issue. In the end this only makes them stronger.”